How to Import Face Mask from China? Everything you Need to Know
February 1st, 2021
Are you looking to import Face mask in China?
Face mask in China is still in demand in the market due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic worldwide. As we know, Covid-19 can spread through respiratory droplets, and a face mask has become a great shield to prevent any respiratory droplets.
If you want to import face masks, China has sold billions of face masks to other foreign countries. Importing face masks in China is profitable because the labor cost here is low, so you know that the production and competition are high. You will not run out of suppliers for face masks to offer in your business.
However, purchasing PPE and face masks may be challenging with strict rules and regulations in importing medical supplies. Therefore, this blog would give you the simplest guide of the following :
If you are a buyer of facemasks in China, it would be challenging to look for a reliable manufacturer that would comply with the facemask’s standard. With the demand for protective masks, every business would start selling them with less compliance to the standards.
Here are the quick tips you need to consider when buying face masks in China:
a) Know the type of face mask you need to import.
b) Look for the manufacturer that has the requirements needed for customs importation. In this case, you have to know which requirements you need to ask from the suppliers of facemasks in China.
c) Compare the prices of facemasks from different suppliers.
d) Check the quality of face masks you import from China.
e) Know the best practices to buy and import wholesale face masks.
f) Know the problems and risks when buying face masks from China.
g) Know the shipping terms of face masks.
Chapter 2: Where to buy face mask in China?
China exporters must fully understand the quality standards of face masks to be imported to another country. The China Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM), together with the Customs and States Administration (SAMR), released a decree to control the quality of exported medical goods, including the face masks.
China exporters, vendors, and suppliers need to prepare all the compliant paperwork to export their products out of China. Here are the top 20 companies in the whitelist who are allowed to export the facemasks from China. These companies have fulfilled all the requirements and certifications ensuring the high quality of the masks.
1. Top 20 companies for surgical mask in China
1. Winner Medical Co., Ltd
2. Winner Medical (Huanggang)Co., Ltd
4. Zhende Medical Co.Ltd
5. King Star (Xianning) Medical Co. Ltd.
6. Hubei King Star Medical Co.Ltd
7. Shaoxing Fuqing Health Products Co., Ltd.
8. Chengdu Xinjin Shifeng Medical Apparatus & Instrument Co., Ltd.
9. WAYSON MEDICAL CO., LTD.
10. Suzhou JaneE Medical Technology Co., Ltd
11. GUANGZHOU FUZELONG HYGIENE MATERIAL Co. LTD
12. Rizhao Sanqi Medical Co., LTD
13. Qingdao Hainuo Co. Ltd.
14. Foshan Nanhai Plus Medical Co. Ltd
15. Shandong Kangli Medical Co. Ltd
16. Suzhou Aojian Medical Supplies Co., Ltd 18 Weihai Wego Medical Co.Ltd.
17. Hunan Improve Medical Co. Ltd
18. Weihai WEgo Medical Co. Ltd
19. Chifeng GLINT Medical Device Co. Ltd
20. Hubei Quianjiang Kingphar Medical Material Co., L
2. Top 20 companies for a medical face mask in China
1. Winner Medical (Huanggang) Co., Ltd.
2. Chongyang Winner Medical Textile Co., Ltd.
3. Aomei Medical Supplies Co., Ltd.
4. Zhende Medical Supplies Group Co., Ltd.
5. Jiangsu Jianerkang Medical Dressing Co., Ltd.
6. Hefei Meidipu Medical Products Co., Ltd.
7. Hubei Kingstar Medical Products Co., Ltd.
8. Kingstar Medical (Xianning) Co., Ltd.
9. Shaoxing Fuqing Sanitary Products Co., Ltd.
10. Rizhao Sanqi Medical & Health Products Co., Ltd.
11. Henan Tuoren Sanrui Medical Device Co., Ltd.
12. HUBEI QIANJIANG KINGPHAR MEDICAL MATERIAL CO., LTD
13. Xiantao Zhongyi Safety Protective Products Co., Ltd.
14. Suzhou JaneE Medical Technology Co., Ltd.
15. Suzhou Aojian Medical Supplies Co., Ltd.
16. Qingdao Hainuo Biological Engineering Co., Ltd.
17. Chengdu Xinjin Shifeng Medical Apparatus & Instrument Co.,Ltd
18. Zhejiang Hongyu Medical Supplies Co., Ltd.
19. CHTC Jiahua Nonwoven Co., Ltd.
20. Henan Tuoren Best Medical Equipment Co., Ltd.
3. Top 20 Companies for Medical Protective Masks
1. Winner Medical Chongyang Inc
2. Winner Medical (Huanggang) Co.,Ltd
3. Zhishan Aomei Medical Supplies Co., Ltd
4. Zhende Medical Co.,Ltd
5. Henan Tuoren Medical Device Co., Ltd
6. Chengdu Xinjin Shifeng Medical Apparatus & Instrument Co.,Ltd
7. Shangdong Kaili Medical Co., Ltd
8. Rizhao Sanqi Medical & Health Artical co.,ltd
9. Baoji Taidakang Medical Co., Ltd
10. Beijing Uhealth Medical Protective Equipment Co., Ltd
11. Beijing Zhongbei Bojian Trading C
Chapter 3: Types of face masks you can buy from China
Please take note that every type of mask is classified based on the filtering capabilities. This is according to the standards of the United States, European Union, and China. For example, the FFP3 should have at least 99% of filtration efficiency and a maximum of 2% inward leakage.
1. Disposable surgical face masks
These are commonly used inside the operating room or any areas in the procedure room to protect the person from contamination. In ASTM USA Standard, any medical or surgical mask should have a minimum filtration rate of at least 95%.
2. Medical protective face masks
Medical masks are regulated under YY/T0969 in China. The performance has to qualify as a medical mask, and it is different from a surgical mask.
3. N95 respirator face masks
It is classified as N95 because the respirator can obstruct at least 95% of the smallest test particles if subjected to examination. So the name derives its capacity to filter the airborne particles up to 95%. You have to wear it properly and fitted on your face for its effectiveness. The N95 respirator is a NIOSH standard personal protective equipment.
Front liners like paramedics, doctors, laboratory attendants are recommended to use N95 surgical respirator masks. You can reuse the N95 respirator mask and replace it once it gets dirty.
4. KN95 face mask
The Chinese government approved the use of KN95 as the standard respirator. It also passed the USA NIOSH standard, FDA, and CDC. KN95 is the counterpart similar to N95. So, consider the same filtering capability of the N95 respirator mask to KN95.
KN95 masks use loops around the ears, while N95 masks use elastic bands stretched around the head. The headbands can provide a more secure fit, making a mask even more effective in blocking the virus.
5. FFP2 face mask
The FFP2 masks have a 94% filtration rate with a maximum leakage rate of 8%. It protects against influenza viruses by health-care professionals, manufacturing, and agriculture. And now, this type of mask is also utilized as anti-corona virus protection.
6. FFP3 face mask
This mask has a level of 99% filtration level with 2% gross leakage to the ground. It can defend against asbestos, which is a small particle.
7. 3 Ply face mask
It has three layers of different materials with each dedicated function as a protective device. The inner layer is hydrophilic that can absorb spit, sweat, and water.
The middle filter layer can trap bacteria, and the essential layer can filter out the water droplets.
The outer layer can repel the water and body fluids. A 3-ply mask is commonly used as either a non-medical mask, medical mask, or surgical mask.
Chapter 4: How to check the quality of face mask in China?
The inspection flow of any conventional face mask items should be the following:
1. Check the appearance of the face masks
You can check the outer and inner layers of the face masks to check the appearance. Make sure that it is not damaged, stained, or dirty. Check if the earrings of the masks are secure and the nose clip is wrapped with nonwoven fabric.
2. Check the product conformity
When you check the product conformity, the face masks should be the same as you purchased. Check if the packaging meets the standards of medical masks. Check the layers of the mask if it has inner, middle, and outer layers. The composition of the fabric includes melt-blown materials and nonwoven fabrics.
3. Check for the consistency
The face masks must be consistent according to your needs and specifications, including the color, material, and weight. Polypropylene is the common material used in surgical masks with 20 gsm weight and made of melt-blown technology. When you check the weight of the face masks that have been divided into layers.
The manufacturer must use a professional gram plate. You can ask to use a sampler when cutting the layered mask. The lower fabric is usually weighed in a gravimetric tray. This is to secure that the weight meets the standards.
4. Check the product quantity
If you buy wholesale orders, this may be challenging to check the product quantity. Make sure the quantity is consistent with your purchase order.
5. Do the following visual, water, and fire test
If you purchase a 3-ply mask, cut the mask and check the layers – translucent piece on top, a white piece in the middle, and colored piece of either white, blue, or green.
For a water test, simply put the face masks on a piece of white paper. Notice when the white paper is soaked, it means that it does not meet the quality standard. If there is no water stain on the face mask, then it meets the standard.
In the fire test, the middle layer is a filter and not just a paper piece. So, it will not catch fire when you start burning it.
There is also a way to check if the face mask can trigger allergy by doing the odor or skin allergy test to ensure that it won’t irritate the skin.
Chapter 5: How to properly wear a face mask for maximum protection?
A disposable face mask can only be used once, and then you need to throw it into the trash can. Replace your face mask once it becomes moist. Follow the instructions on the proper storage and use of the mask. If instructions are not available, please take the following steps below:
1.How to properly wear a face mask?
-Before touching your face mask, make sure you sanitize your hands with water and soap.
-Check the mask before you wear It if there are holes or tears on both sides.
-The stiff bendable edge is the top of the mask to shape your nose.
-For a face mask with bands, simply hold it using your hand with the nosepiece using your fingertips. You can see that it allows the headbands to hang freely.
Just bring the mask to the nose level and pull the top strap over your head. Lastly, pull the bottom strap over your head and make sure that the face mask rests at your nape.
If you use a face mask with ties, bring it to the nose level while you put the ties over the head’s crown. Then, secure it with a bow. For a mask with ear loops, simply hold your mask by the ear loops. Then, place a loop around your ears.
-You can mold the stiff part of the mask to shape your nose so it won’t loosen.
-Using a face mask with ties, take the bottom ties. Then, secure with a bow at the nape of the neck.
-Lastly, Pull the bottom of the face mask over the chin and mouth.
2. How to remove a face mask?
You have to clean your hands with water and soap or use a hand sanitizer before touching your used face mask. Do not touch the front of the mask, which is already contaminated. Touch the ear loops/band/ties.
For a face mask with bands, lift the bottom strap over the head. Then, pull the top strap over your head.
For a face mask with ties, you have to untie the bottom bow first. Then, untie the top bow to pull the mask away from you as the face mask ties are loosened.
For a face mask with ear loops, hold both of the ear loops. Then, gently lift and remove the mask.
Lastly, throw the mask in the trash. Don’t forget to sanitize your hands again by washing or using a hand sanitizer.
1. You need to make sure that elastic bands are properly placed around your ears.
2. You need to make sure that the face mask ties are in the middle of your head and the base of your head.
1. Don’t put your facemask on your head.
2. Don’t let the straps crossed or hand down.
3. Don’t put your facemask under your nose and mouth.
4. Don’t put your facemask around your neck.
5. Don’t adjust your facemask without hand washing or hand sanitizing.
Chapter 6: How to verify legit suppliers of face mask in China from Alibaba?
Unless the masks are from the whitelist manufacturers of face masks in China, there are several ways to verify if China surgical masks passed the quality standard.
1. Check if the supplier is verified.
2. Check if the supplier can issue trade assurance.
3. Check the comments and reviews of the customers and the satisfaction rate.
4. Check if the seller can show the manufacturing plant in live chat service like in the WeChat platform.
5. Check if the manufacturer has a production point.
6. Ask the supplier if he/she can supply the sample face masks.
7. For best results, hire a sourcing agent.
8. The sourcing agent can provide you the most important details of importing such as the supplier’s authenticity, scheduling of inspection, and report from what you need from the supplier.
Take note that to import face masks from China, you need to look for wholesale suppliers. As mentioned above, verify the authenticity of the sellers and take time to check the quality. Ask for the minimum order quantity and provide the list of items you need from them. Then, finalize your deal.
Here are the questions you can ask when looking for potential suppliers of face mask in China:
1. Do you have ISO 9001 latest certification or passed ISO 13485? What’s the indicated scope of the business registration certificate? How long have you been manufacturing face masks?
2. How do you test the filtration efficiency?
3. How do you manufacture the face masks? Do you have enough facilities to maintain the cleanliness of the face masks?
Chapter 7: Documentation needed when importing face masks from China
The USA gave exclusion from importation tariffs on medical goods from China, including face masks. That’s a good thing because of reducing the import duty that makes surgical masks more affordable. You can ask your reliable source agents regarding the tariff information from your country.
The custom may usually require a bill of landing, commercial invoice, and arrival notice. An experienced broker can give you complete detailed information for the import process.
For the surgical masks documentation, refer to the following certification for importation:
1. Certification from FDA
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is a regulatory authority in providing standards for different categories such as face masks. It assists face mask industries in developing surgical masks and others. The FDA inspects how the production is done in the facilities. It has the power to withdraw the products from the market for safety.
Take note that not all N95 manufacturers have FDA. They will need a clearance letter from the FDA and submit a 510(k) or premarket notification. So, make sure that customs will look for the FDA’s clearance if you import this to the United States.
N95 Mask with FDA claims to avoid infection with antimicrobial properties classified as Class II products which need FDA approval. On the contrary, masks without FDA approval claims to prevent infarction or with antimicrobial properties without FDA approval but NIOSH-approved. In this case, manufacturers just need a Niosh certificate. They do not need to seek FDA clearance to register their establishment.
2. Certification from European conformity
In the European Union, the European Economic Area recommended European Conformity (CE) certificate to rate disposable masks. It assists the surgical mask industries and other industrial graded masks. The mask is graded based on its microbial cleaning, splash resistance, bacterial filtration efficiency, and biocompatibility.
The European Commission facilitates and handles the supply of protective masks with diligence and extra precautionary measures. If you see a CE mark, it means that the face mass meets EU standards for safety and health.
There are three levels of surgical masks as classified into BFE1, BFE2, and Type R. The classifications are based on breathing resistance, filtration efficiency, and splash resistance. For surgical masks manufacturer, if they pass self-certification in conformity assessment, they can draft the Declaration of Conformity and affix the CE Marking.
A Notified Body tests them for face mask respirators before the CE Mark can be affixed. The 3 classes of respirators are FFP1( leakage of 22% and 80% filter), FFP2 (8% leakage and 94% filter), and FFP3 (5% leakage and 99% filter).
3. Certification from NIOSH
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends the use of masks with NIOSH certification. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)is an institute in setting health and safety standards.
NIOSH approved products are listed by brand. Please be careful on some reports of products using promotional materials that cite NIOSH approval. These products may look similar to NIOSH-approved face mask respirators. If you see a fashionable decorative fabric and taken N95 respirators, these are not NIOSH approved respirators.
In some countries like Thailand, no one can export masks if there is no BOI authorization. Check if your Customs allowed shipment of 10,000 masks to a private individual without any issues on shipment.
Chapter 8: How to customize your face masks?
You can see people having customized face masks on top of their surgical masks. That’s why you can buy custom made face masks to breathe new life into the plain mask collection. You can put a monogram, custom logo, or photo or choose the design you pick out yourself. Some people prefer to DIY their face masks using fabric, scissors, hair ties, and rulers.
Either you use surgical face masks or customized fabric, or DIY face masks, you still need to follow the health protocol when wearing a face mask – wash your hands regularly before and after using the face mask, keep using it at all times to cover your nose and mouth, and avoid touching it when you put it on your face.
Chapter 9: FAQs about the face mask in China
1. What are the best practices I can use when looking for the best supplier of face mask in China?
Always contact the manufacturers available online. Check the ranking of sellers in Alibaba or other online platforms. Then compare the prices and delivery procedure. You can also compare the production level and take note of what you need.
You can make a negotiation with the suppliers regarding the final asking price and ask them to send you sample products. From the sample face masks, you can have your top picks. Then, arrange for an inspection. The best sourcing agent you can hire will do the inspection or audit.
Check the report from your sourcing agent and select the best face mask supplier.
2. What are other important things I should know when importing face masks from China?
• Know if you are authorized to import the surgical mask
• Know if the face masks you will import meets your country’s customs standards
• Check if the supplier is really existing
• Check if your supplier has the PRC Medical Device Product Registration Certificate
• Check if your supplier is licensed and registered to manufacture a face mask you need
3. What are the safety tips when buying face masks in China?
Here are the common issues and problems when buying face masks from China:
• Buying from an unqualified mask supplier
• Negotiating with a scammer
• Language barrier
• Unable to get a good price range
• Falsification of product certificates
• Defective face masks
• Purchasing wrong mask standards based on country’s customs
• Delayed shipping
• Shipment stuck in customs
There are some precautions for you to understand before hiring any third-party quality control company, such as the following:
1. Buy from manufacturers who can show you the certification of ISO 13485.
2. The product packaging must contain a qualified card and not temporarily printed stickers only.
3. Make sure that the face masks are manufactured in high-end clean rooms and well sanitized.
4. Check the expiration date of the face masks.
5. The inspection company cannot run the test for filtration efficiency when the inspector is on-site. The manufacturing factory does not have any professional testing equipment.
6. Get the final inspection address from the suppliers. The address may not be the same as the supplier address or the warehouse address.
4. Which kind of mask provides the best protection against Covid19?
Facemasks can help decrease the transmission of Covid19. Properly use of face masks can lessen the spread of virus. Pre-symptomatic cases can easily spread the virus to others before showing any signs of having infected. Although, there are types of masks with more efficacy rate than the others.
Fabric and cloth masks can trap the droplets released when the person using them talks, coughs or sneezes. What’s good about customize or DIY face masks is that you can wash and reuse them again. Just make sure to regularly change your mask one it becomes dirty. Also, you cannot share your cloth masks with anyone.
While the surgical masks can protect from splashes that could enter the mouth or nose. It can protect these areas from having contact with Covid19. This type of mask is single-use only.
The N95 masks graded with higher degree of efficacy rate against Covid19. It can really filter even the smallest particle you breathe. This type of mask is recommended for frontliners and not for general use. You can also use this mask once.
The face masks with valves make it easier for you to breathe out, but there is a possibility that you can exhale the germs into the air around you. It can protect you but you can cause harm to people around you because of the one-way valve.
5. How to mitigate the risk of loss when purchasing face masks from China?
First, you have to know the suppliers and products before making any transactions. If you cannot do a simple background on the company, hire a sourcing agent to do the job for you.
This is the simplest way to verify whether the Chinese manufacturers of face masks you are dealing with are reputable and their products pass the standard quality test. You can avoid the risk of being blocked by the customs.
Also, be aware of the fake certificates. Since most of the documents can be counterfeit, do the authenticity check. You can contact the authorized entities who can issue the report or certificate. Check if their business is on the whitelist for authorized dealers of medical items, including face masks from China.
Please take note of the formal sales contract in any of your transactions. Even if you purchase from a platform like Alibaba, ask for formal written agreements. Contracting without any formally signed contract can be risky on your part.
Emails may not be in complete detail, including all the seller and buyer’s obligations and rights. It would be difficult to determine which law abides in the contract in terms of the contract agreement.
For the settlement of disputes, litigation is necessary for you to recover some damages from a Chinese supplier. Or the possible solution is to incorporate an arbitration clause in your contracts with your face masks supplier.
6. How to look for agents sourcing face masks in China?
For your health and security, place importance in searching for the most trusted and top-rated face masks from China, especially for medical items with strict restrictions on quality standards.
Look for reliable sourcing agents that can give you the list of perfect suppliers that meets all your needs in looking for facemasks. China sourcing agents can identify qualified suppliers of face masks based on the customer needs.
Many sourcing companies in China can assist you with quality control, factory audits, inspection, quality assurance, check the contracts, warehousing, and shipping. Here are the Top 10 sourcing companies in China with established good customer service relationships.
6.1 EJET Sourcing Company
The company is in Yiwu with a branch in Guangzhou, China, and was established in 2006. They have different partners in Asian countries. The company assists the clients in sourcing and delivery.
EJET Sourcing gives 100% security to their buyers without any issues with purchasing and payment process. They have the most professional team to handle everything with impressive customer service. It elevates the satisfaction rate of thousands of customers from more than 50 countries.
6.2 Meeno Group Sourcing Agent
Meeno group also provide complete sourcing service in China, including inspection, sourcing of products, warehouse storage, customs clearance, and ship management. They are easy to work with, and they develop a detailed sourcing plan which includes current market conditions. You will receive the quote within 48 hours.
6.3 Dragon Sourcing
Dragon sourcing is an international procurement service company located in Shanghai and Hongkong with offices in Australia, USA, France, UK, Turkey, South Africa, Brazil, Vietnam, and Kenya.
They provide procurement services and sustainable values for organizations in purchasing goods from China. They also have a wide range of sourcing services from sourcing, development, and shipping.
6.4 LincSourcing China Sourcing Agent
LincSourcing has headquarters in Sweden and has offices in China, Italy, United Kingdom, and Spain. Their China office is in Shanghai. They established wide network with more than 100 suppliers from all types of industries.
6.5 KeenSourcing China Sourcing Company
KeenSourcing is dedicated to helping Amazon small businesses and sellers who import products from China. They ensure the best quality at a lower cost and pass the regulatory compliance.
Their services include sourcing, verification, laboratory testing, quality inspection, factory audit, production monitoring, order tracking, quality control, price negotiations, and logistics support.
6.6 JingSourcing Company
Jingsourcing is also one of the best sourcing companies in China. Their goal is to help small scale businesses to source their products and import from China. They have 4 types of services from free, basic, pro, and Extra.
The services include product sourcing, manufacturing, consulting, product sample customization, import, export, compliance consulting, product quality inspection, free warehouse in China, arranging low-cost shipping, price negotiation, and product follow-up.
Face masks are high in demand. You don’t want to waste any of your time, effort, and money in importing face masks from suppliers who can’t deliver to the standards.
If you have no idea about international trade and totally have no experience in importing face masks from China, it is recommended to look for the most reliable sourcing agent to hire to assist you from sourcing to importation processes.
Look for a sourcing agent who can assist you with everything you need – from looking for the best suppliers, providing details of the face masks, managing bulk orders, processing your orders, and shipping your items with no issues in customs.